GMC’s carbon fiber bed – branded CarbonPro – will go into production in early June, and 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 models equipped with the unique bed will begin arriving at select dealerships during the summer.
GMC’s plan to launch the CarbonPro bed involves a special, limited-run model aptly named the GMC Sierra CarbonPro Edition, pictured here.
The Sierra CarbonPro Edition will be available on the half-ton 2019 GMC Sierra Denali and 2019 GMC Sierra AT4. The CarbonPro bed will become available in greater quantity on both trims for the 2020 GMC Sierra.
The CarbonPro is the first application of its kind for carbon fiber composite, delivering best-in-class dent, scratch, and corrosion resistance.
Key benefits of the purpose-built bed include:
- Strength, durability and scratch resistance: the carbon fiber composite material provides the most scratch, dent and corrosion-resistant pickup bed in the industry.
- Corrosion-resistance: carbon fiber composite naturally resists corrosion, helping the carbon fiber bed withstand weathering and maintain a premium appearance over the life of the truck.
- Reduced weight: the CarbonPro bed weighs 25 percent less than a traditional steel bed, removing roughly 60 pounds of vehicle mass. Its grained surface also eliminates the need for bed liners, potentially saving further vehicle mass.
- More volume: the CarbonPro bed design enables best-in-class cargo volume, increasing the already class-leading volume of the Sierra’s roll-formed steel bed by 1 cubic foot.
- More functionality: the CarbonPro bed features indentations specifically designed for tires of dirt and street bikes. Two additional tie-down locations are installed at the front of the bed.
GMC rigorously developed the CarbonPro carbon fiber bed to ensure long-term durability and functionality. CarbonPro works in conjunction with the six-function MultiPro tailgate – the same one that makes jaws drop – to deliver the ultimate in hauling functionality.