This weekend, GMC launched its first advertising campaign for the all-new 2019 Sierra 1500. Called Step Up Like A Pro, the effort is focused on highlighting the new truck, and the campaign’s first spot is called Anthem“. In it, GMC focuses on the innovative MultiPro tailgate – a Sierra exclusive that aims to improve the customer experience by offering six functions for different use cases – while affirming the Sierra as the king of premium pickup trucks and inviting owners of competing models to switch to Sierra.
“‘Step Up Like A Pro’ is an empowering call to action that resonates with truck owners, encouraging them to reach higher in their lives and not accept the ordinary. ‘Anthem’ continues to define our GMC ‘We Are Professional Grade’ standards and signals landmark change to the industry, “said Rich Latek, director of GMC Marketing.
The Anthem spot shows owners of competing pickups, particularly those from Ford and Ram, dismounting the tailgates from their trucks and commencing a march, tailgates in hand, to the tune of Steam’s infamous Hey hey hey, goodbye tune. The marchers are headed to the top of a mountain, where a man and his 2019 Sierra stand tall.
The spot ends with the Sierra man deploying the step function of the MultiPro tailgate, stepping into the truck’s bed, and enjoying the view of the incoming marchers.
“The tailgate to end all tailgates” appears at the very end.
The Step Up Like A Pro spot of the 2019 Sierra launched on Saturday, January 5th, 2019 through numerous media channels, first airing during two NFL Wild Card games broadcast by ESPN.
The MultiPro Tailgate
The MultiPro tailgate, exclusive to GMC, was introduced by the 2019 Sierra 1500 and is available on the Sierra AT4 and Sierra Denali trim levels. GMC describes it as the most useful, complete and revolutionary pickup tailgate in history, offering six positions for improved storage of second-level cargo, load stopping solutions and easier access to items in the truck’s box.
The six functions of the MultiPro gate are as follows:
- Primary gate: opens from the key fob, from inside the truck or via a button on the gate.
- Primary gate load stop: helps prevent items from sliding out of the box.
- Easy access: the inner gate folds down, allowing a deeper reach into the box.
- Full-width step: the inner gate folds into a large step for easy access and holds up to 375 pounds.
- Inner gate load stop: helps prevent second-tier items from sliding out of the box.
- Inner gate with work surface: when opened, provides a work surface as well as second-tier loading.