General Motors and its joint ventures reported 858,344 new vehicle deliveries for the second quarter 2018 in China, a 0.7 percent increase from Q2 2017.
Sales increased at Chevrolet, Cadillac, Wuling and Baojun while decreasing at Buick.
Shanghai GM Sales – Q2 2018
Second quarter 2018 sales results at Shanghai GM — GM’s primary joint venture in China responsible for Chevrolet, Buick, and Cadillac vehicle sales — were as follows.
Chevrolet China Sales – Q2 2018
Chevrolet sales increased 22.3 percent to 131,895 units, representing brand’s eighth month of double-digit growth in the past nine months:
- Chevrolet Cavalier sales increased 54 percent to nearly 49,000 units, remaining the brand’s best-selling model
- The Cavalier was initially introduced as the second-generation Cruze in China, but was renamed to Cavalier when the all-new, second-gen global Cruze was introduced in the market
- Chevrolet introduced the Cavalier 325T with a new-generation Ecotec 1.0L turbocharged engine in March to bolster sales
- Chevrolet Malibu sales increased 29 percent to about 30,000 units
- Chevrolet Equinox sales increased 88 percent to over 19,000 units
Buick China Sales – Q2 2018
Buick sales decreased 16.2 percent to 230,454 units:
- Buick Excelle GT remained the most popular Buick model, with the brand not reporting actual sales figures
- Buick GL8 sales topped 37,000 units, led by what Buick calls “robust sales” of the new-generation model
The classic Buick Excelle returned to Buick’s lineup on June 22, strengthening the brand’s presence in the compact family sedan market.
In March 2017, Buick announced the Buick Velite 5 — its first extended-range electric vehicle (EREV). Essentially a Buick-badged second-generation Chevrolet Volt, the vehicle has fuel consumption as low as 0.9 liter/100 kilometers. In the coming two years, the brand will launch plug-in hybrid and pure battery electric vehicles to expand its green car lineup. The brand will soon introduce a new hybrid model called Velite 6 in China.
Cadillac China Sales – Q2 2018
Cadillac sales increased 19 percent to 48,712 units:
- Cadillac XT5 sales increased 14 percent to 17,000 units
- Cadillac XTS sales increased 42 percent to nearly 14,000 units
- Cadillac CT6 sales increased 49 percent to 3,700 units
During the CES Asia 2018 in Shanghai, Cadillac debuted Super Cruise for the Chinese market. Super Cruise is the industry’s first true hands-free driving technology for the highway, and will be offered in China on the Cadillac CT6 40T Platinum.
Cadillac’s sales performance in China outpaced its U.S. sales volume by 9,490 units during the month.
SAIC-GM-Wuling Sales – Q2 2018
Second quarter 2018 sales results at GM’s other Chinese joint venture — SAIC-GM-Wuling — were as follows:
Baojun China Sales – Q2 2018
Baojun sales increased 6 percent to 198,986 units:
- Baojun 510 sales surpassed 71,000 units
- Baojun 310 sales increased 50 percent to nearly 38,000 units
- About 60 percent of those sales were made up by the Baojun 310 wagon
- Baojun 360 sales nearly reached 13,000 units, following its launch on May 10th
In June, the brand announced that the new Baojun E100 all electric vehicle with an extended range of 200 km would expand its market availability to Qingdao, Shandong.
Wuling China Sales – Q2 2018
Wuling sales increased 3.1 percent to 248,297 units:
- Sales of the Hong Guang MPV family, Wuling’s best-selling nameplate, nearly reached 98,000 units
- The Hong Guang S3, which was introduced in November 2017, contributed about a quarter of sales
First Six Months Of 2018
In the first six months of 2018, GM deliveries in China increased 4.4 percent to 1,844,396 units.
In the second half of the year, the company plans to add 10 new and refreshed models, two-thirds of the total for the entire year. The focus will be on segments with the strongest customer demand, including SUVs, MPVs and luxury vehicles.
Sales Results - Q2 2018 - China - GM Totals
|BRAND||Q2 2018 / Q2 2017||Q2 2018||Q2 2017||YTD 2018 / YTD 2017||YTD 2018||YTD 2017|
|GM CHINA TOTAL||+0.70%||858,344||852,386||+4.45%||1,844,396||1,765,828|
About The Numbers
- All percent change figures compared to GM China Q2 2017 sales
- Starting with April 2015 sales results, GM began reporting retail sales rather than wholesales in China. All numbers above represent retail sales.
Further Reading & Sales Reporting
- GM news
- Running GM sales results
- GM incentives and offers
- Q2 2018 GM sales results:
- U.S. GM Q2 2018 sales results
- U.S. Q2 2018 Chevrolet sales results
- U.S. Q2 2018 Cadillac sales results
- U.S. Q2 2018 Buick sales results
- U.S. Q2 2018 GMC sales results
- GM Canada Q2 2018 sales results
- Canada Q2 2018 Chevrolet sales results
- Canada Q2 2018 Cadillac sales results
- Canada Q2 2018 Buick sales results
- Canada Q2 2018 GMC sales results
- GM China Q2 2018 sales results (this page)
- GM Korea Q2 2018 sales results:
- Chevrolet Korea Q2 2018 sales results
- Cadillac Korea Q2 2018 sales results
- U.S. GM Q2 2018 sales results