Fans of Australia’s Supercars series may soon see another new face in the motorsport: the Chevrolet Camaro. Last month, Tickford boss, Rod Nash, said it seemed like a no-brainer for the Camaro to enter the series. Now, Holden has given its blessing.
Newly minted Holden executive director of marketing, Kristian Aquilina, said the brand is committed to the ZB Commodore Supercar, but it won’t block the Chevrolet Camaro from taking to the track.
“We’re not afraid of putting the ZB Commodore against the best, be that a Ford Mustang, or any other competitor – we know how good the all-new Commodore is,” he told Supercars.com in a report published last Friday.
With Holden’s OK, the decision will ultimately be left to Holden Special Vehicles (HSV) to pursue a Camaro Supercar racer.
HSV will begin selling the sixth-generation Chevrolet Camaro locally in Australia this July. Part of HSV’s future plans includes converting the Camaro from left- to right-hand drive for local buyers.
Supercars generation two rules allow for competitor to place a two-door shell over the Next-Generation racing chassis. It leaves the door wide open for many new competitors. Previously, the series was exclusive to four-door, V8-powered racers. Rules changed as Ford and Holden wrapped up local production of the Falcon and Commodore.