This is the 2019 GMC Sierra 1500. Revealed today at a special event in Detroit, the Sierra is all-new for the 2019 model year and represents the fourth generation of the Sierra nameplate. The all-new pickup truck launches bold design and segment-leading technologies.
The Sierra models GMC unveiled today are the high-end Sierra SLT and Sierra Denali. The brand states that more details and information about other Sierra models will be released closer to the start of production in the fall of 2018.
“GMC ignited the premium truck segment 17 years ago with the original launch of the Sierra Denali,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global GMC. “The next generation 2019 Sierra Denali establishes a new benchmark in capability and refinement. It exemplifies precision in every detail.”
“The heritage of the GMC brand is rooted in full-size trucks, of which the Sierra is our cornerstone, with our SLT and Denali models contributing 87 percent of our total crew cab sales,” Aldred said. “The next generation Sierra caters to these unique customers who demand a premium, innovative truck that supports their professional and personal passions.”
The 2019 Sierra Denali introduces a new GMC design language. The truck is taller and features a more confident stance and more powerful proportions.
At the front, the 2019 GMC Sierra shows refinement and strength through a larger, more-dominant upright grille, a taller hood, as well as bolder and more pronounced C-shaped lighting elements that have become a GMC signature.
The 2019 GMC Sierra is larger than its K2 platform predecessor in virtually every dimension. The larger grille and dramatic lighting underscore its dominant stance. The wheels are pushed closer to the corners and wear larger diameter tires. The 2019 Sierra Denali features available 22-inch Ultra Bright aluminum wheels while the 2019 Sierra SLT offers its own unique 22-inch dark aluminum wheels finished with chrome accents.
Distinctive details are abound. A new chrome grille with a sharp, precise dimensions pattern exemplifies truck’s attention to detail.
“The next generation Sierra Denali has a deliberate, commanding presence,” said Matt Noone, director of design, GMC Exteriors. “Its unmistakable design embodies the essence of GMC, while advancing the brand’s core styling elements — rooted in inherent capability — with a new expression of its signature cues.”
A new badge on the front fender shows the world that your 2019 Sierra is powered by a 6.2L V-8 engine, though it’s unclear whether other models – such as those powered by “lesser” engines – will get a similar treatment.
At the rear, dual exhaust becomes a first for the Sierra.
The interior of the 2019 GMC Sierra delivers a more specious, driver-centric cabin. In fact, it tops the segment with best-in-class front headroom and legroom.
The driver is at the center of the experience, which starts with a higher seating position that offers a confident view from behind the wheel. Optimized ergonomics deliver an easy, intuitive interaction with the vehicle’s technologies, such as the all-new Trailering App and segment-first Head-Up Display.
Since space and storage is vital to truck customers, the 2019 GMC Sierra’s crew cab has nearly three inches of additional rear-seat legroom compared to the outgoing model.
Meanwhile, the outboard rear seat backs open to reveal rectangular storage spaces. Like on the 2019 Silverado, they are large enough for storing tablets or laptops, tie-down cords, umbrellas or other important accessories.
The all-new 2019 GMC Sierra introduces a GMC exclusive, industry-first MultiPro Tailgate. It is the segment’s most innovative tailgate ever.
Standard on SLT and Denali models, the MultiPro Tailgate features six unique functions and positions, offering enhanced second-tier loading and load-stop solutions, a standing workstation mode and easier access to items in the box.
The MultiPro Tailgate also incorporates a step entry and egress mode that, when paired with the assist handle, offers both step and seated functionality, with a maximum weight capacity of 375 pounds (170 kg). Ease of use is enhanced with two buttons on the tailgate handle that allow convenient inner gate release.
This multifunctional tailgate offers proven strength and durability. In fact, GMC says that the MultiPro Tailgate has undergone more testing and validation than any tailgate in GM’s history. Sierra is the first and only truck to offer the MultiPro Tailgate, providing premium truck customers the ultimate flexibility.
The 2019 GMC Sierra will offer two types of cargo boxes.
The “standard” version, which continues to be made of roll-formed, high-strength steel but with a revised alloy that offers 50 percent more strength than the outgoing model. The box also offers best-in-class cargo volume – 63 cubic feet (1,784 liters) on the short box, as well as additional tie-downs and a new, available 110-volt power outlet.
Meanwhile, the 2019 Sierra Denali will offer an available GMC exclusive and industry-first carbon fiber box. Labeled as the CarbonPro, the box was developed to increase durability, efficiency and functionality of the truck. It replaces the standard steel inner panels and floor with a lightweight, purpose-designed carbon fiber composite that offers best-in-class dent, scratch and corrosion resistance, making it the most durable pickup box in the segment.
Set to become available later in the model year, the new CarbonPro box is 62 pounds (28 kg) lighter than the steel version.
“In 116 years of making GMC pickup trucks, our industry-first carbon fiber box is the toughest and most durable pickup box we have ever made,” Aldred said.
The carbon “CarbonPro” box is just one example of the strategic use of materials in engineering the 2019 GMC Sierra.
The strategy also incorporates using aluminum for the swing panels, including the doors, hood and tailgate, while relying on steel for the fenders, roof and standard cargo box to shave up to 360 pounds (163 kg) from the Sierra compared today’s model.
The 2019 GMC Sierra delivers a more confident towing experience thanks to GMC’s new ProGrade Trailering System. Standard on Sierra Denali and SLT, the trailering system includes an all-new Trailering App featuring a Pre-Departure checklist, Maintenance Reminders, Trailer Light Test, Trailer Electrical Diagnostics and Trailer Tire Pressure and Temperature Monitoring.
Many of the Trailering App’s functions, including the lighting test and pre-departure checklist, are also available with the MyGMC app on compatible Apple iOS and Google Android smartphones. The feature offers great convenience when outside the truck or trailer.
The all-new Sierra also offers Hitch Guidance with Hitch View and Auto Electric Park Brake to help with perfect positioning when hitching. The available side view cameras and a trailer-mounted HD camera provide additional assistance when driving down the road or in reverse. What’s more exclusive Trailer Theft Detection enables owners to receive text and mobile alerts from OnStar when the trailer has been detached from the truck without permission.
The 2019 GMC Sierra will offer new versions of the proven 6.2L and 5.3L V-8 engines while introducing the all-new 3.0L Duramax inline-six turbo-diesel engine. The 6.2L and 3.0L engines will be paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission.
The 5.3L and 6.2L engines feature stop/start technology and new Dynamic Fuel Management, which enables the engine to operate on one to eight cylinders, depending on load/demand, to optimize power and efficiency. Meanwhile, the new Duramax diesel builds on GMC’s expertise with turbo-diesels offered in Sierra HD and Canyon models.
Though not confirmed, we believe that at least two other engines will be announced later.
The 2019 GMC Sierra Denali returns as the flagship of the Sierra family, affirming its position as the most premium Sierra ever with segment-leading technologies and exclusive features. It is defined by powerful proportions and distinctive Denali design traits, as well as a driver-focused cabin that features premium materials, improved interior space and innovative storage solutions.
Segment-leading technologies and exclusive Denali-exclusive features include:
- MultiPro Tailgate – the most innovative pickup tailgate ever, with six unique functions and positions offering enhanced second-tier loading and load-stop solutions, a standing workstation and easier access to items in the box. The MultiPro Gate is a GMC Exclusive and as well as an industry first.
- Carbon Fiber Pickup Box branded CarbonPro, which was developed to increase durability, efficiency and functionality while offering best-in-class dent, scratch and corrosion resistance, making it the most durable pickup box in the segment. The CarbonPro is also a GMC Exclusive and is also an industry first.
- All-new ProGrade Trailering System with Trailering App, which provides a comprehensive connected suite of trailering technology that brings more confidence to the towing experience than ever before.
- Advanced lighting technology that distinguishes the Sierra Denali from every other truck on the road. GMC’s front lighting signature is conveyed through a prominent “light blade” that delivers uniform LED illumination for the daytime running lamps. LEDs are also used for the headlamps, taillamps, fog lamps and other illuminative elements, with lenses constructed from durable material with an almost crystalline quality.
- 22-inch Ultra-Bright aluminum wheels
- A new DENALI nemeplate on the tailgate below the GMC badge, expressed in a new block-style typeface that echoes the truck’s strong proportions. The new Denali badge is located below the signature GMC identification.
- Exclusive premium leather-appointed seats, which have a distinctive, large-pebbled grain with a contrasting stitch pattern that is both premium in appearance and touch without sacrificing durability
- Authentic open-pore wood trim evocative of hand-planed furniture
- Dark-finished decor
- A multi-color Head-Up Display (HUD) that projects key vehicle data on the windshield in a 3×7-inch display to help drivers keep their eyes on the road. The display is customizable and is a segment first.
- Rear Camera Mirror, which offers an optimized view of what is behind the vehicle while driving, helping overcome common visual obstructions like occupants and cargo. It uses a dual-function interior mirror on the inside and an advanced camera mounted at the rear of the vehicle. The Sierra uses a next-generation version of the system, which features a higher resolution camera and display, as well as the ability to tilt or zoom the view. The Rear Camera Mirror is a segment first.
- A new, dynamic and advanced GMC infotainment system with an 8-inch diagonal screen and standard navigation delivers a smartphone-like experience with an intuitive interface, faster response and improved voice recognition.
- Surround Vision, which offers a bird’s-eye view of the truck. The feature displays an overhead image on the infotainment screen, helping the driver detect potential obstacles when backing up, including when trailering.
- Full suite of advanced safety features, including Side Blind Zone Alert, Pedestrian Detection and Low Speed Forward Automatic Braking
- Exclusive chassis technologies such as Adaptive Ride Control. Designed to provide premium driving refinement with exceptional responsiveness, Adaptive Ride Control employs sophisticated sensors to monitor road conditions and chassis responses in real time, enabling adjustments to active dampers every 2 milliseconds.
The 2019 GMC Sierra Denali and SLT are scheduled to go on sale in the fall of 2018. GMC stated that it will release additional details closer to the start of production.