In years to come, some Australians may never even know the former Elizabeth assembly plant churned out thousands of cars over decades of operation. Today, Holden confirmed the sale of the former car plant to a Melbourne-based developer, Pelligra Group.
Holden has already begun the decommissioning process at the plant, which built the final Australian-made Holden Commodore on October 20 this year. The site’s new owner envisions a range of industrial, manufacturing, construction, engineering, automotive and commercial uses, SBS News reported. Recreational and retail sites may also crop up, too.
Holden said it was pleased the site would continue to be an area for industry in Australia long after Holden’s assembly lines went quiet.
The brand won’t totally abandon the site, however. Holden will retain a presence at the soon-to-be-decommissioned plant in a spare parts facility for the brand’s vehicles. Previously, the brand said the decommissioning process will extend into 2019 and new construction will follow.