General Motors is recalling several models over issues with the driver’s frontal airbag.
The defect: the driver’s frontal air bag may improperly inflate during second-stage deployment in the event of a high speed crash.
The hazards: an improperly-inflated airbag increases the risk of injury in a crash.
Affected vehicle areas: airbags.
- 2015-2016 Chevrolet Colorado (second generation)
- 2015-2016 GMC Canyon (second generation)
- 2016 Chevrolet Volt (second generation)
Number of vehicles affected: 16 vehicles (United States figure).
The fix: GM will notify owners, and dealers will replace the driver’s frontal air bag module, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin November 10th, 2017
Owners should: customers looking to find out if their vehicle is included in this Chevy Colorado, Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon recall should visit recalls.gm.com. There, owners will be able to enter their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to see any open recalls as well as customer satisfaction programs. If the vehicle is part of the recall, then owners should take it to a dealer.
Owners can also contact Chevrolet or GMC customer service with questions by using the following information.
- Chevrolet Customer Service: 1-800-222-1020
- GMC Customer Service: 1-800-462-8782
- GM Recall Number: 17387
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
- NHTSA Recall Number: 17V621000