If your GM vehicle is within the powertrain limited warranty period, then you’re covered by GM’s 24-hour Roadside Assistance Program. But what happens when your vehicle is outside the powertrain warranty period and you (or your family members) get stuck in the middle of nowhere thanks to breaking down, getting a flat or running out of gas? Then they’re left to their own devices, and those can become rather expensive. But there is an exception.
That exception is OnStar. As we recently discovered, subscribing to any paid OnStar plan instantly gets your vehicle Roadside Assistance, no matter the age or odometer reading of your vehicle. That’s right, your car could have 300,000 miles on the clock, putting it well outside the Powertrain limited warranty period. But the OnStar trick overrides that limitation.
Roadside Assistance includes the following services:
- Emergency Towing (from a public road or highway to nearest Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick or GMC dealer, depending on the make of your vehicle)
- Lockout Service (keys locked inside vehicle)
- Flat Tire Changes (service to change a flat tire with the spare tire, if equipped)
- Fuel Delivery (enough fuel for vehicle to get to the nearest service station)
- Jump-Starts (service to jumpstart a dead battery)
Signing up for any paid OnStar plan and activating in your car it is all you need to do. Currently, the least expensive paid OnStar subscription is the Protection plan that is priced at $19.99 per month of $199.90 per year and includes the following:
- Roadside Assistance
- Automatic Crash Response
- Emergency Services
- Crisis Assist
- Remote Access
- OnStar Smart Driver
- Advanced Diagnostics
- OnStar AtYourService
The other two paid OnStar other plans are Security and Guidance.
So, there’s a tip for getting Roadside Assistance for your GM vehicle if you’re well outside the powertrain warranty period. Pretty nifty, right?
Notes of interest:
- This only works in the United States
- GM/OnStar can change pricing, structure and availability of their plans at any time; always consult OnStar for the latest pricing information