General Motors and its joint ventures recorded 366,305 new vehicle deliveries in China for September 2017, an increase of 6.6 percent from September 2016. The results represent a new September sales record for GM China.
The Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac and Baojun brands posted sales gains, while Wuling sales fell. In fact, Buick, Cadillac and Baojun posted all-time highs for September. SUVs remained the a key driver of GM’s sustained growth, with sales increased 63 percent year-over-year.
GM will launch more than 10 new and refreshed models in the second half of 2017, including the new Buick Regal, Baojun 310 Wagon and Wuling Hong Guang S3 SUV.
In the first nine months of 2017, GM and its joint ventures delivered a record 2,748,139 units in China, an increase of 1.1 percent.
Shanghai GM Sales – September 2017
September 2017 sales results at Shanghai GM — GM’s primary joint venture in China responsible for Chevrolet, Buick, and Cadillac vehicle sales — were as follows.
Chevrolet China Sales – Chevrolet 2017
Chevrolet sales increased 11.2 percent to 57,757 units:
- Chevrolet Malibu sales increased 52 percent to nearly 14,000 units
- Chevrolet Cavalier sales surpassed 20,000 units; the model was previously the Chinese-market Cruze, but was refreshed and then rebranded as the Cavalier when the global, second-generation Cruze launched in China and in other markets
- Chevrolet Equinox sales totaled nearly 6,200 units during its fifth full month in the Chinese domestic market. The vehicle joined China’s highly competitive crossover segment in April as the 2018 Chevrolet Equinox and is the first GM model in China to utilize the new GM 9-speed automatic transmission.
Buick China Sales – September 2017
Buick sales increased 5.7 percent to 114,500 units:
- Buick GL8 MPV family more than doubled, as demand for the new-generation GL8 and GL8 Avenir remained robust. GM will soon strengthen Buick’s MPV lineup in China with the addition of the GL6 later this year.
- Buick Envision sales almost reached 20,000 units
- Buick LaCrosse sales increased 35 percent to over 9,800 units
- Buick Excelle GT sedan sales surpassed 44,000 units, remaining the brand’s top-selling model
In March, Buick announced the Buick Velite 5 — its first extended-range electric vehicle (EREV). Essentially a Buick-badged second-generation Chevrolet Volt, the vehicle has fuel consumption as low as 0.9 liter/100 kilometers. In the coming two years, the brand will launch plug-in hybrid and pure battery electric vehicles to expand its green car lineup. In addition, the brand has also announced the all-new 2018 Buick Regal. With 10 variants on offer, the new Regal will build on the success of the popular premium sedan nameplate.
Cadillac China Sales – September 2017
GM’s luxury brand continued to build its presence in the Chinese market, with Cadillac sales growing 38 percent to 17,248 units — the brand’s 19th consecutive month of double-digit sales growth in China:
- Cadillac XT5 sales increased 49 percent to nearly 6,300 units; Cadillac introduced the XT5 Hybrid in late August, expanding the XT5 lineup
- Cadillac ATS-L sales increased 40 percent to over 5,300 units, its 15th consecutive month of double-digit growth
- Cadillac CT6 sales increased 65 percent to nearly 1,200 units
Cadillac’s sales performance in China led the brand’s U.S. sales volume by 1,718 two units during the month. See more about Cadillac sales for September 2017.
SAIC-GM-Wuling Sales – September 2017
Sales results at GM’s other Chinese joint venture — SAIC-GM-Wuling — were as follows:
Baojun China Sales – September 2017
Baojun sales increased 51 percent to 94,718 units:
- Baojun 510 sales exceeded 39,700 units, making September the sixth consecutive month that it was the brand’s most popular model
- Baojun 310 wagon sales totaled nearly 13,000 units; since its launch in July, sales have exceeded 31,000
- Baojun E100 sold over 1,500 units in September in its launch market in Liuzhou, Guangxi; the E100 is Baojun’s first fully electric vehicle
Wuling China Sales – September 2017
Wuling sales decreased 24.2 percent to 82,082 units:
- Wuling Hong Guang sales totaled over 35,600 units
- Wuling Rong Guang sales totaled nearly 38,000 units
- Later this year, Wuling will introduce its first SUV – the Hong Guang S3 – to take capitalize on one of China’s fastest-growing vehicle segments
Sales Summary - September 2017 - General Motors - China
|Brand||September 2017 / September 2016||September 2017||September 2016||YTD 2016 / YTD 2015||YTD 2017||YTD 2016|
About The Numbers
- All percent change figures compared to GM China September 2016 sales, except as noted
- Starting with April 2015 sales results, GM began reporting retail sales rather than wholesales in China. All numbers above represent retail sales.
Further Reading & Sales Reporting
- GM news
- Running GM sales results
- GM incentives and offers
- September 2017 GM sales results
- U.S. GM September 2017 sales results
- GM Canada September 2017 sales results
- Canada September 2017 Chevrolet sales results
- Canada September 2017 Cadillac sales results
- Canada September 2017 Buick sales results
- Canada September 2017 GMC sales results
- Global September 2017 Cadillac sales results