General Motors and its joint ventures recorded 328,425 new vehicle deliveries in China in August 2017, an increase of 11.9 percent from August 2016. The results represent a new August sales record for GM China.
Retail sales increased 12 percent year-over-year, representing the company’s highest growth in five months.
The Buick, Cadillac and Baojun brands posted best-ever August sales results, while Chevrolet posted growth of 21 percent on an annual basis. SUVs remained the strongest-growing segment for GM, with demand increasing 57 percent year-over-year.
GM will launch more than 10 new and refreshed models in the second half of 2017, including the new Buick Regal, Baojun 310 Wagon and Wuling Hong Guang S3 SUV.
In the first eight months of 2017, GM and its joint ventures delivered a record 2,381,834 units in China, an increase of 0.3 percent.
Shanghai GM Sales – August 2017
August 2017 sales results at Shanghai GM — GM’s primary joint venture in China responsible for Chevrolet, Buick, and Cadillac vehicle sales — were as follows.
Chevrolet China Sales – August 2017
Chevrolet sales increased 20.7 percent to 46,705 units:
- Chevrolet Malibu sales increased 75 percent to over 10,000 units
- Chevrolet Cavalier sales surpassed 15,000 units during its first August in China; the model was previously the Chinese-market Cruze, but was refreshed and then rebranded as the Cavalier when the global, second-generation Cruze launched in China and in other markets
- The Equinox, Chevrolet’s best-selling global SUV, surpassed 4,600 deliveries in its fourth full month in the Chinese domestic market. The vehicle joined China’s highly competitive crossover segment in April as the 2018 Chevrolet Equinox and is the first GM model in China to adopt the new GM nine-speed automatic transmission.
Buick China Sales – August 2017
Buick sales increased 9.6 percent to 103,277 units:
- Buick GL8 MPV family increased 125 percent from a year earlier, as the new GL8 and GL8 Avenir remained highly popular and continue to be seen as the benchmarks in the segment. GM will soon strengthen Buick’s MPV lineup in China with the addition of the GL6 later this year.
- Buick Envision sales surpassed 15,000 units, strengthening its foothold in its segment
- Buick LaCrosse sales increased 41 percent to over 8,100 units
- Buick Excelle GT sedan sales increased to over 40,000 units; the vehicle is Buick’s top-selling model
In March, Buick announced the Buick Velite 5 — its first extended-range electric vehicle (EREV). Essentially a Buick-badged second-generation Chevrolet Volt, the vehicle has fuel consumption as low as 0.9 liter/100 kilometers. In the coming two years, the brand will launch plug-in hybrid and pure battery electric vehicles to expand its green car lineup. In addition, the brand has also announced the all-new 2018 Buick Regal. With 10 variants on offer, the new Regal will build on the success of the popular premium sedan nameplate.
Cadillac China Sales – August 2017
GM’s luxury brand continued to build its presence in the Chinese market, with Cadillac sales growing 37.1 percent to 12,006 units — the brand’s 17th consecutive month of double-digit sales growth in China:
- Cadillac XT5 sales increased 73 percent to nearly 5,400 units; Cadillac introduced the XT5 Hybrid in late August, expanding the XT5 lineup
- Cadillac ATS-L sales increased 63 percent to over 5,200 units, its 14th consecutive month of double-digit growth
- Cadillac CT6 sales increased 81 percent
“Cadillac’s strong lineup, unique brand philosophy and premium customer experience are taking it to the next level of competition in China’s luxury vehicle market,” said Andreas Schaaf, Cadillac vice president and general director of SAIC-GM’s Cadillac Division. “Our goal is for Cadillac to become a top-tier player.”
It’s worthy of noting that Cadillac’s sales performance in China trailed the brand’s U.S. sales volume by just two units during the month. See more about Cadillac U.S. sales for August 2017.
SAIC-GM-Wuling Sales – August 2017
Sales results at GM’s other Chinese joint venture — SAIC-GM-Wuling — were as follows:
Baojun China Sales – August 2017
Baojun sales increased 61.8 percent to 82,658 units:
- Baojun 510 sales totaled more than 33,000 units, making August the fifth consecutive month that it was the brand’s most popular model
- Baojun 310 wagon sales nearly doubled from July to over 12,000 units in its second month on the market
- Baojun 310 sedan deliveries totaled roughly 6,500 units
- The Baojun E100 was launched in Liuzhou, Guangxi, in late July, giving the brand its first fully electric vehicle
Wuling China Sales – August 2017
Wuling sales decreased 18.9 percent to 80,771 units:
- Wuling Hong Guang, the most popular Wuling nameplate in China, saw deliveries of over 34,000 units
- Later this year, Wuling will introduce its first SUV – the Hong Guang S3 – to take advantage of one of China’s fastest-growing vehicle segments
Sales Summary - August 2017 - General Motors - China
|Brand||August 2017 / August 2016||August 2017||August 2016||YTD 2016 / YTD 2015||YTD 2017||YTD 2016|
About The Numbers
- All percent change figures compared to GM China August 2016 sales, except as noted
- Starting with April 2015 sales results, GM began reporting retail sales rather than wholesales in China. All numbers above represent retail sales.
Further Reading & Sales Reporting
- GM news
- Running GM sales results
- August 2017 GM sales results
- U.S. GM August 2017 sales results
- GM Canada August 2017 sales results
- Global August 2017 Cadillac sales results