The current, third-generation GMC Sierra family has proven to be a solid seller for The General, accounting for 224,139 deliveries in calendar year 2015 and 221,680 units in 2016. The figures represent the highest and second-highest, respectively annual sales figures for the Sierra in seven years. And for the 2018 model year, the Sierra 1500/light-duty pickup is getting a few updates, changes and new features for what will likely become the last model year of the Sierra on the K2 platform, as the next GMC Sierra on the GM T1 platform is expected for the 2019 model year.
Starting on the outside, the 2018 GMC Sierra replaces two exterior colors with two new ones:
- Crimson Red Metallic
- Pepperdust Metallic
- Deep Mahogany Metallic
- Red Quartz Tintcoat
The biggest changes, however, are inside — as the 2018 Sierra 1500 receives a few new standard features, including:
- A standard 6-speaker audio system across all trim levels, replacing the 4-speaker system that was standard for the 2014-2017 Sierra 1500
- A standard GMC Infotainment System with a 7-inch diagonal color touch-screen, AM/FM stereo with seek-and-scan and digital clock, as well as Bluetooth streaming audio for music and select phones (RPO code IOB) on the 1SA/base models, replacing the AM/FM radio with 4.2-inch display on 2014-2017 Sierra 1500. This results in the deletion of the IOB radio and Rear Vision Camera from the Sierra Elevation Edition
- A standard Rear Vision Camera on all models; the camera was optional on the 1SA/base trim level on the 2014-2017 GMC Sierra, resulting in the removal of the Rear Vision Camera from the Convenience Package
- Addition of Tire Fill Alert to the Tire Pressure Monitoring system
Finally, the 2018 Sierra 1500 sees the introduction of the Performance Front Brake Kit, which includes Red Brembo 6-piston calipers with DuraLife rotors that feature a hardened surface to reduce corrosion and provide quieter braking with less vibration.
And that does it for the changes to the 2018 Sierra 1500. Use the links below for further information on the truck.
The updates and changes described here are specific to the U.S. market and may be different for other markets.
Depending on configuration, the 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 is assembled at two GM factories in the U.S.:
More Information & Reporting
- GMC Sierra sales numbers
- GMC Sierra news
- GMC Sierra info
- 2018 GMC Sierra
- 2018 GMC Sierra Changes, Updates, New Features
- 2018 GMC Sierra Lineup
- 2018 GMC Sierra Order Guide
- 2019 GMC Sierra
- Future GMC Sierra
- 2018 GMC Sierra