New details surrounding what caused a massive fire at Buff Whelan Chevrolet have surfaced, and it’s clear a member of the cleaning staff ignited the blaze.
While investigators believe the fire was an accident, the floor cleaner is to blame for what a dozen fire departments called the worst fire in the city of Sterling Heights’ history. Buff Whelan released surveillance video after the floor cleaner’s story contradicted what investigators saw on camera.
The cleaner stated he buffed over gasoline, which ignited and burned his arm. However, the video clearly shows the cleaner knocked over the gasoline canister which he then tries to clean with his bare hands. He then continued to buff the floor and when he reached the gasoline spill, the fire ensued.
The fire destroyed a large portion of the service department and took over 50 cars with it. Buff Whelan Chevrolet has stated all customers affected by the fire will be compensated accordingly. The investigation is still ongoing and the cleaning employee has not been identified.