General Motors and its joint ventures recorded 285,191 new vehicle deliveries in China in June 2017, an increase of 4.3 percent from June 2016. The results represent GM China’s highest June sales performance ever.
The Buick, Cadillac and Baojun brands had record results for June, while Chevrolet had its biggest growth in six months. Demand for SUVs, the primary driver of GM’s sales growth in China, surged 42 percent in June and remained the automaker’s best-performing segment.
“We are pleased with the strong demand across our brands in June,” said GM Executive Vice President and GM China President Matt Tsien. “Over the next six months, we will be launching 10 new and refreshed models to build on our momentum. They include the much-awaited all-new Buick Regal premium sports sedan and Baojun 310 wagon in July.”
The company will launch more than 10 new and refreshed models in the second half of 2017, including the new 2018 Buick Regal sedan, Baojun 310 Wagon and Wuling Hong Guang S3 SUV.
Shanghai GM Sales – June 2017
June 2017 sales at Shanghai GM — GM’s primary joint venture in China responsible for Chevrolet, Buick, and Cadillac vehicle sales — were as follows.
Chevrolet China Sales – June 2017
Chevrolet sales increased 7.2 percent to over 38,000 units:
- Chevrolet Malibu sales increased 40 percent year-over-year; the model represents Chevy’s flagship vehicle in China
- Chevrolet Cavalier sales surpassed 11,000 units during its first June in China; the model was previously the Chinese-market Cruze, but was refreshed and then rebranded as the Cavalier when the global Cruze launched in China
- The Equinox, Chevrolet’s best-selling global SUV, accounted for over 5,400 deliveries in its second full month in the Chinese domestic market, topping May’s deliveries by 42 percent. The vehicle joined China’s highly competitive crossover segment in April as the 2018 Chevrolet Equinox and is the first model in China to adopt the new GM nine-speed automatic transmission
- Chevrolet is expanding its powertrain portfolio with the upcoming introduction of a 1.0T engine
Buick China Sales – June 2017
Buick sales increased 13 percent to 96,913 units:
- Buick GL8 MPV family more than doubled rom the previous June, driven by the new GL8 and GL8 Avenir
- Buick Envision sales surpassed 16,000 units
- Buick LaCrosse sales increased 1.4 percent to over 7,700 units
- Buick Excelle GT sales increased 40 percent to over 37,000 units
In March, the tri shield brand announced the Buick Velite 5 — its first extended-range electric vehicle (EREV). Essentially a Buick-badged second-generation Chevrolet Volt, the vehicle has fuel consumption as low as 0.9 liter/100 kilometers. In the coming two years, the brand will launch plug-in hybrid and pure battery electric vehicles to expand its green car lineup. In addition, the brand has also announced the all-new 2018 Buick Regal, which made its Asian debut last month at Auto Shanghai 2017. It will build on the success of the popular premium sedan nameplate.
Cadillac China Sales – June 2017
Cadillac continued to build its presence in the Chinese market, with Cadillac sales growing 35 percent to 12,886 units — the brand’s 16th consecutive month of double-digit sales growth in China. The sales performance makes China the largest market by volume for Cadillac in June, with the United States coming in second place. In fact, June was the third month in a row where Cadillac sold more cars in China than in the U.S.
- Cadillac XT5 sales almost broke 5,000 units, strengthening its position as the brand’s best-selling model
- Cadillac ATS-L sales increased 34 percent, its 12th consecutive month of double-digit growth
- Cadillac CT6 sales increased 81 percent
SAIC-GM-Wuling Sales – June 2017
Sales results at GM’s other Chinese joint venture — SAIC-GM-Wuling — were as follows:
Baojun China Sales – June 2017
Baojun sales increased 47 percent to 63,722 units:
- Baojun 510 sales totaled 23,353 units, maintaining its leadership position in the competitive small SUV segment
- Baojun 510 sales totaled over 25,000 units, keeping the best-seller title in Baojun’s portfolio for the third consecutive month
- Baojun 310 sales surpassed 8,500 units
Wuling China Sales – June 2017
Wuling sales decreased 25.8 percent to 73,460 units in June:
- Wuling Hong Guang, the most popular Wuling nameplate in China, saw deliveries of over 30,000 units
- Later this year, Wuling will introduce its first SUV – the Hong Guang S3 – to take advantage of one of China’s fastest-growing vehicle segments
Sales Summary - June 2017 - General Motors - China
|Brand||June 2017 / June 2016||June 2017||June 2016||YTD 2016 / YTD 2015||YTD 2017||YTD 2016|
About The Numbers
- All percent change figures compared to GM China June 2016 sales, except as noted
- Starting with April 2015 sales results, GM began reporting retail sales rather than wholesales in China. All numbers above represent retail sales.
Further Reading & Sales Reporting
- GM news
- Running GM sales results
- June 2017 GM sales results
- U.S. GM June 2017 sales results
- GM Canada June 2017 sales results
- Canada June 2017 Chevrolet sales results
- Canada June 2017 Cadillac sales results
- Canada June 2017 Buick sales results
- Canada June 2017 GMC sales results
- Global June 2017 Cadillac sales results