General Motors and its joint ventures recorded 294,425 new vehicle deliveries in China in May 2017, a slight decrease of 0.3 percent from May 2016. The results represent GM China’s second-best May sales performance ever.
Deliveries of SUVs, MPVs and luxury vehicles accounted for about half of total sales during the month, increasing a combined 9.5 percent from a year earlier.
The company will launch more than 10 new and refreshed models in the second half of 2017, including the new 2018 Buick Regal sedan, Baojun 310 Wagon and Wuling Hong Guang S3 SUV.
Shanghai GM Sales – May 2017
May 2017 sales at Shanghai GM — GM’s primary joint venture in China responsible for Chevrolet, Buick, and Cadillac vehicle sales — were as follows.
Chevrolet China Sales – May 2017
Chevrolet sales decreased 1.4 percent to 37,571 units:
- Chevrolet Malibu sales increased 36 percent year-over-year
- Chevrolet Cavalier sales surpassed 10,000 units; the model was previously the Chinese-market Cruze, but was refreshed and then rebranded as the Cavalier when the global Cruze launched in China
- The Equinox, Chevrolet’s best-selling global SUV, accounted for nearly 4,000 deliveries in its first full month in the domestic market. The vehicle joined China’s highly competitive crossover segment in April as the 2018 Chevrolet Equinox and is the first model in China to adopt the new GM nine-speed automatic transmission
- Chevrolet is also expanding its powertrain portfolio with the upcoming introduction of a 1.0T engine
Buick China Sales – May 2017
Buick sales decreased 6.8 percent to 94,023 units:
- Buick GL8 MPV family sales surged 78 percent year-over-year, driven by the new GL8 and GL8 Avenir
- Buick Envision sales totaled 16,240 units
- Buick LaCrosse increased 122 percent to over 7,800 units
- Buick Verano sales increased 14 percent to its second-best monthly sales result in 2017
In March, the brand announced the Buick Velite 5 — its first extended-range electric vehicle (EREV). Essentially a Buick-badged second-generation Chevrolet Volt, the vehicle has fuel consumption as low as 0.9 liter/100 kilometers. In the coming two years, the brand will launch plug-in hybrid and pure battery electric vehicles to expand its green car lineup. In addition, the brand has also announced the all-new 2018 Buick Regal, which made its Asian debut last month at Auto Shanghai 2017. It will build on the success of the popular premium sedan nameplate.
Cadillac China Sales – May 2017
Cadillac continued to build its presence in the Chinese market, with Cadillac sales growing 86 percent to 14,154 units — the brand’s 15th consecutive month of double-digit sales growth in China. The sales performance enabled China to become Cadillac’s largest market by volume in May, with the United States coming in second place. May is the second month in a row where Cadillac sells more cars in China than in the U.S.
- Cadillac XT5 sales surpassed 5,000 units, remaining the brand’s best-selling model
- Cadillac ATS-L sales increased 93 percent, its 11th consecutive month of double-digit growth
- Cadillac XTS sales increased 45 percent
- Cadillac CT6 sales almost doubled
SAIC-GM-Wuling Sales – May 2017
Sales results at GM’s other Chinese joint venture — SAIC-GM-Wuling — were as follows:
Baojun China Sales – May 2017
Baojun sales grew 47.2 percent to 64,075 units:
- Baojun 510 sales totaled 23,353 units, maintaining its leadership position in the competitive small SUV segment
- Baojun 730 MPV sales exceeded 18,000 units
- The Baojun 310 wagon recorded over 10,000 deliveries; the brand’s first wagon is targeting the entry-level passenger car segment, offering versatility with added room for cargo
Wuling China Sales – May 2017
Wuling sales decreased 18.8 percent to 84,602 units in May:
- Wuling Hong Guang S MPV sales totaled 84,602 units
- Wuling Rong Guang sales accounted for over 38,000 units
Sales Summary - May 2017 - General Motors - China
|Brand||May 2017 / May 2016||May 2017||May 2016||YTD 2016 / YTD 2015||YTD 2017||YTD 2016|
About The Numbers
- All percent change figures compared to May 2016, except as noted
- Starting with April 2015 sales results, GM began reporting retail sales rather than wholesales in China. All numbers above represent retail sales.
Further Reading & Sales Reporting
- GM news
- Running GM sales results
- May 2017 GM sales results
- U.S. GM May 2017 sales results
- GM Canada May 2017 sales results
- Canada May 2017 Chevrolet sales results
- Canada May 2017 Cadillac sales results
- Canada May 2017 Buick sales results
- Canada May 2017 GMC sales results
- Global Cadillac May 2017 sales results