General Motors and its joint ventures recorded 272,770 new vehicle deliveries in China in April 2017, a decrease of 1.9 percent from April 2016.
GM deliveries of luxury vehicles, SUVs and MPVs increased a combined 14 percent on an annual basis and represented nearly half of the company’s sales in April. To further capitalize on the market demand for utility vehicles, half of GM’s 18 new and refreshed models being launched in China this year will be SUVs and MPVs.
“We are pleased by the response of consumers to our lineup of current and new models shown at Auto Shanghai 2017 last month,” said GM Executive Vice President and GM China President Matt Tsien. “We look forward to building on this momentum as several of these products, including the new Buick Regal and Baojun 310 wagon, reach the market.”
GM will launch 18 new and refreshed models this year in China to support continued growth in the company’s largest retail market. Half of the models being introduced in 2017 under the Buick, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Baojun and Wuling brands will be SUVs or MPVs.
Shanghai GM Sales – April 2017
April 2017 sales at Shanghai GM — GM’s primary joint venture in China responsible for Chevrolet, Buick, and Cadillac vehicle sales — were as follows.
Chevrolet China Sales – April 2017
Chevrolet sales totaled 32,044 units in April:
- Chevrolet Malibu sales increased 32 percent year-over-year
- Chevrolet Cavalier sales reached nearly 10,000 units in the nameplate’s first April on the market; the model was previously the Chinese-market Cruze, but was refreshed and then rebranded as the Cavalier when the global Cruze launched in China
- The Equinox, Chevrolet’s best-selling global SUV, joined China’s highly competitive crossover segment in April as the 2018 Chevrolet Equinox. It is the first model in China to adopt the new GM nine-speed automatic transmission
The brand is also expanding its powertrain portfolio with the upcoming introduction of a 1.0T engine.
Buick China Sales – April 2017
Buick sales totaled 84,162 units:
- Buick GL8 MPV family sales surged 81 percent year-over-year to an all-time monthly high of 12,287 units
- Buick Envision sales totaled 15,432 units
Last month, the brand announced the Buick Velite 5 — its first extended-range electric vehicle (EREV). Essentially a Buick-badged second-generation Chevrolet Volt, the vehicle has fuel consumption as low as 0.9 liter/100 kilometers. In the coming two years, the brand will launch plug-in hybrid and pure battery electric vehicles to expand its green car lineup. In addition, the brand has also announced the all-new 2018 Buick Regal, which made its Asian debut last month at Auto Shanghai 2017. It will build on the success of the popular premium sedan nameplate.
Cadillac China Sales – April 2017
Cadillac continued to build its presence in the Chinese market, with Cadillac sales skyrocketing 98.4 percent to 13,903 units — the brand’s 14th consecutive month of double-digit sales growth. What’s more, the sales performance enabled China to become Cadillac’s largest market by volume in April, with the United States coming in second place.
- Cadillac XT5 sales totaled 5,212 units, accounting for more than a third of the brand’s deliveries during the month
- Cadillac ATS-L sales more than doubled to 4,573 units
- Cadillac XTS sales increased 50 percent
- Cadillac CT6 sales increased 76 percent
SAIC-GM-Wuling Sales – April 2017
Sales results at GM’s other Chinese joint venture — SAIC-GM-Wuling — were as follows:
Baojun China Sales – April 2017
Baojun sales grew 58 percent to 60,000 units in April:
- Baojun 510 sales surpassed 20,000 units, becoming the brand’s best-selling model in its second full month on the market
- Baojun 730 MPV sales totaled over 18,— units, strengthening its segment-leading position
The Baojun 310 wagon made its debut in April. The brand’s first wagon is targeting the entry-level passenger car segment, offering versatility with added room for cargo.
Wuling China Sales – April 2017
Wuling sales totaled 83,679 units in April, continuing its lead in the commercial vehicle market.
- Hong Guang S MPV sales totaled 33,571 units, advancing Wuling’s strategic transformation into a passenger car maker.
- The Hong Guang S3 was unveiled in April. The brand’s first SUV will enable Wuling to explore China’s fastest-growing vehicle segment by leveraging China’s best-selling nameplate, Hong Guang.
About The Numbers
- All percent change figures compared to April 2016, except as noted
- Starting with April 2015 sales results, GM began reporting retail sales rather than wholesales in China. All numbers above represent retail sales.
Further Reading & Sales Reporting
- GM news
- Running GM sales results
- April 2017 GM sales results
- U.S. GM April 2017 sales results
- GM Canada April 2017 sales results
- Canada April 2017 Chevrolet sales results
- Canada April 2017 Cadillac sales results
- Canada April 2017 Buick sales results
- Canada April 2017 GMC sales results
- Global April 2017 Cadillac sales results