Anyone who has spent wheel time with the Cadillac CT6 knows full well that the full-size prestige-luxury sedan drives like a dream. As Cadillac’s marketing material puts it, the vehicle achieves “dynamic performance, efficiency, and agility unseen in the large luxury car segment”. And if that weren’t enough, then the CT6’s optional Active Chassis Package takes it a step or two further.
Bundling Magnetic Ride Control, Active Rear Steering, and 20-inch wheels, the CT6’s Active Chassis Package is all about taking the full-size sedan’s comfort, agility, and driving pleasure to an even higher level.
Active Rear Steering
Active Rear Steering contributes to greater low-speed agility and high-speed stability by exhibiting different behaviors depending on vehicle speed:
- In low-speed driving, the CT6’s rear wheels turn in the opposite direction of the front wheels, resulting in a tighter turning radius that’s useful during parking maneuvers. Specifically, a Cadillac CT6 with Active Rear Steering has a turning circle of only 11.4 meters, which is comparable to that of the Cadillac CTS, whose wheelbase is 8 inches shorter than that of the CT6.
- In high-speed driving, Active Rear Steer turns the rear wheels in concert with the front wheels, contributing to greater stability.
Magnetic Ride Control
GM’s highly-acclaimed Magnetic Ride Control adjusts the damping of every wheel by the millisecond, delivering what Cadillac calls “responsiveness and driver control unparalleled in the segment.”
Wheels, All-Wheel-Drive, Auto Vehicle Hold
CT6 models equipped with the Active Chassis System are also equipped with 20-inch wheels and two other key features that contribute to a superior driving experience.
- Active on-demand all-wheel-drive: the system makes the most of the CT6’s handling and stability in all-weather conditions. The AWD system’s lightweight, compact design and two-gear transfer case enable greater fuel efficiency than conventional fixed-torque all-wheel drive systems.
- Auto Vehicle Hold Braking: this driver-selectable feature prevents the vehicle from creeping forward or rearward when the driver’s foot is off the brake, reducing driver fatigue during heavy stop-and-go traffic and improves vehicle control on steep grades.
It’s important to note that, even without the Active Chassis Package, the CT6 delivers remarkable driving experience and segment-challenging agility. The qualities are rooted in the full-size sedan’s rigid, high-tech, and lightweight architecture.
Known as the Omega platform, the architecture houses an advanced chassis system that balances responsiveness with best-in-segment isolation, resulting in exceptional refinement.
The CT6’s suspension consists of a lightweight, aluminum-intensive high-arm multilink short-long arm suspension in the front and a five-link independent suspension with multiple outer ball joints and cross braces for optimal handling and steering precision in the rear.
Package Details & Availability
The CT6’s Active Chassis Package is assigned RPO code F55 and includes the following features and availability.
- Magnetic Ride Control
- 20″ all-season tires (QP1)
- Active rear steering (NYS)
- 20″ x 8.5″ ultra-bright machined aluminum multi-spoke wheels with Manoogian Silver pockets (RQA) included as part of Active Chassis Package on Luxury and Premium Luxury trim levels (upgraded from 19″ wheels)
- 20″ x 8.5″ ultra-bright machined aluminum multi-spoke wheels with Manoogian Silver premium painted finish and 5 chrome inserts (RQ9) standard on all CT6 Platinum models
- Available on:
- CT6 Luxury with 3.6L V-6 (model 1SD)
- CT6 Premium Luxury with 3.6 V-6 (model 1SF)
- CT6 Luxury with 3.0L V-6 Twin Turbo (model 1SE)
- CT6 Premium Luxury with 3.0L V-6 Twin Turbo (model 1SG)
- Standard on:
- CT6 Platinum with 3.6L V-6 (model 1SJ)
- CT6 Platinum with 3.0L V-6 Twin Turbo (model 1SK)
The Active Chassis package is a $3,300 option on Luxury and Premium Luxury trim levels of the 2016 CT6, while being standard on (and included in the price of) the CT6 in Platinum trim.