Buick wants you to be a better driver. The public at large wants you to be a better driver. So, let’s do it, shall we?
To help, Buick has rolled out the OnStar Smart Driver Program, which is aimed to help you improve your driving skills. The service is opt-in and is part of any OnStar program at no additional cost.
What does it do? Smart Driver will help maximize overall performance, reduce wear and tear, monitor fuel efficiency and more. Once enrolled, customers will have access to information about their driving behavior. Specifically, Buick has broken it down in this handy-dandy bulleted list:
- OnStar Smart Driver score – calculated with driving data that can be sorted by day, week, month, year and lifetime
- Historical OnStar Smart Driver scores
- Total number of hard braking events and where they took place
- Total number of hard acceleration events and where they took place
- High-speed driving percentage
- Late-night driving percentage
- Total miles driven
- Average MPG and MPH
- Comparisons to the aggregate total of all other enrolled drivers
- Helpful tips on how to become a smarter driver
Customers can also enroll in Insurance Discounts Eligibility, which can help reveal discounts due to driving behavior. It does not share personal details with insurance companies, though.
The service is available on nearly all Buicks through the 2015-2017 model years.