The 2016 Chevrolet Low Cab Forward is being recalled as part of a broader Isuzu recall over an issue that could cause the throttle pedal to get stuck in the full throttle position. Isuzu manufactures the Low Cab Forward trucks for Chevrolet, which are essentially rebranded Isuzu NPR trucks, as part of a recently-reached agreement between the two firms.
The defect: affected vehicles have a throttle pedal that may get stuck under the steel stopper bolt, causing the pedal to remain in the full throttle position.
The hazards: a stuck open accelerator pedal may result in very high vehicle speeds and make it difficult to stop the vehicle, which could cause a crash, serious injury or death.
- 2016 Chevrolet Low Cab Forward 3500 HD, 4500HD, and 4500XD vehicles manufactured July 27, 2016, to November 11, 2016
- 2014-2016 Isuzu NPR and NPR HD vehicles manufactured August 26, 2013, to November 11, 2016
Number of vehicles affected: 25,018 total Chevrolet LCF and Isuzu NPR/NPR HD trucks (United States figure).
The fix: Isuzu will notify owners, and dealers will remove and replace the stopper bolt with a flanged plate, to prevent lateral movement of the throttle, free of charge.
To note, the recalled vehicles vehicles are equipped with a brake override system. In the event that the accelerator pedal is trapped, pushing on the brake pedal will brake the vehicle and enable the driver to slow and stop and turn off the vehicle.
Owners should: expect a recall notice, with the recall expected to begin November 14, 2016. Owners can also contact Isuzu customer service with questions by using the following information.
- Isuzu Customer Service: 1-866-441-9638
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
- NHTSA Recall Number: 16V797000