General Motors is recalling certain units of its 2016-2017 model year full-size Chevrolet and GMC vans over federal requirements caused by vehicles’ mirrors.
The defect: the affected vehicles were manufactured without an inside rearview mirror and with a right-hand convex exterior review mirror. These vehicles are required to have either an inside rearview mirror or both left and right-hand flat exterior rearview mirrors. Thus, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 111, “Rearview Mirrors.”
The hazards: if the driver does not have a clear unobstructed view to the back of the vehicle, it can increase the risk of a crash.
- 2016-2017 Chevrolet Express manufactured September 25, 2015 to August 22, 2016
- 2016 GMC Savana cargo and cutaway vans manufactured January 28, 2016, to May 18, 2016
Number of vehicles affected: 40 vehicles (United States figure).
The fix: GM will notify owners, and dealers will instal a right-hand flat rearview mirror, free of charge
Owners should: customers looking to find out if their vehicle is included in this Chevy Express and GMC Savana recall should visit recalls.gm.com. There, owners will be able to enter their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to see any open recalls as well as customer satisfaction programs. If the vehicle is part of the recall, customers should take it to a Chevrolet or GMC dealer.
Owners can also contact Chevrolet and GMC customer service with questions by using the following information.
- Chevrolet Customer Service: 1-800-222-1020
- GMC Customer Service: 1-800-468-8782
- GM Recall Number: 16036
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
- NHTSA Recall Number: 16V700000