Just yesterday, Chevy announced that the 2017 Colorado will receive an all-new 3.6L V-6 engine and 8-speed automatic transmission. And now, we’ve gotten our hands on the complete order guide for the vehicle, filling us in on the remaining changes and updates. So, let’s dive right in.
On the outside, the 2017 Chevrolet Colorado replaces two existing colors with four new ones:
- Red Rock Metallic
- Inferno Orange Metallic
- Graphite Metallic
- Cajun Red Tintcoat
- Laser Blue (mid-model year availability)
- Orange Burst Metallic (mid-model year availability)
But that’s not all, as there are many more changes to the exterior.
- Body-color luxury package
- Midnight Edition (for the LT trim level); the Z71 Midnight Edition remains available
- Z71 Trail Boss
- Bed Protection Package (LPO)
- Exterior Convenience Package (LPO)
- Bed net (LPO)
- Metal bed storage box (LPO)
- Utility rack load stops (LPO)
- 18-inch 5-spoke aluminum wheels (LPO, SE4)
New exterior features:
- Custom Special Edition for the Work Truck trim level that includes the following equipment:
- Body-color grille
- Body-color door handles
- Outside power-adjustable, body-color, manual-folding mirrors
- Body-color rear bumper
- 18″ Dark Argent Metallic cast aluminum wheels
- Chevrolet MyLink Radio with 7″ diagonal color touch-screen
- Front Fog Lamp Kit (LPO, available on WT)
- Cargo divider (LPO, available on all trims except Base/2SA)
- Low-gloss Black Stripe Package that includes stripes on the hood and tailgate (LPO, available on all trims except Base/2SA)
That’s right, the 2017 model year of the midsize truck no longer offers the Colorado Midnight Edition or the Colorado Z71 Trail Boss models (thankfully, the Z71 Midnight Edition remains). Lastly, contents of the Colorado Chrome Appearance Package Plus (PDY) will now be included with Chrome Appearance Package (PDZ), with the Chrome Appearance Package Plus (PDY) being discontinued.
On the inside, the 2017 Colorado makes heated front cloth seats available as a free flow option on the LT trim level. In addition, the 4.2-inch IO4 MyLink radio is deleted, while the 7-inch diagonal Color Touchscreen MyLink radio IOB is introduced, with Teen Driver Mode becoming standard on all 2017 Colorado models.
And finally, the LPO-level protective rear seat cover becomes available on LT and Z71 Crew Cab models; it was not available on LT and Z71 in the 2016 Chevrolet Colorado.
In the powertrain department, the 2017 Chevrolet Colorado replaces the last-generation 3.6L V-6 LFX gasoline engine with the all-new 3.6L V-6 LGZ motor. Representing the second generation of GM’s dual overhead cam V-6 engines, the LGZ makes three more horsepower and six pound-feet more torque. But the biggest difference is that the LGZ features Active Fuel Management (Cylinder Deactivation) as well as notable refinements to the direct injection system. It is paired exclusively to the new 8L45 8-speed automatic M5T transmission.
The new V-6 and 8-speed are available on the WT, LT, and Z71 trim levels, as follows:
|Trim Level||Base||Work Truck||LT||Z71|
|Feature / Equipment Group||2SA||2WT||4WT||2LT||4LT||27Z||47Z|
|3.6L V-6 LGZ engine||Not Available||A1||A2||A1||A2||A1||A2|
|8-Speed 8L45 M5T transmission||Not Available||A3||A4||A5||A4||A5||A4|
- A1: Standard on Crew Cab Long Box models.
- A2: Standard on Crew Cab models.
- A3: Requires (LGZ) 3.6L DI DOHC V6 engine. Standard on Crew Cab Long Box models.
- A4: Requires (LGZ) 3.6L DI DOHC V6 engine. Standard on Crew Cab models. Available on Extended Cab models.
- A5: Requires (LGZ) 3.6L DI DOHC V6 engine. Standard on Crew Cab Long Box models. Available on Extended Cab models.
The Colorado’s two other engines — the 2.5L I-4 LCV and 2.8L I-4 LWN Duramax Turbo-Diesel remain paired to the 6L50 6-speed automatic MYB transmission. The 6-speed manual M5T remains standard on the Base trim level as well as on the 2WD Work Truck (WT) with the Extended Cab and 2.5L I-4 engine.
The 2017 Chevy Colorado also adds the AutoTrac transfer case standard on 4WD models with gas engines, excluding WT trim level. What’s more, the trailer brake controller is now available with the new 3.6L V-6 LGZ engine and Z82 Trailering Package.
Rounding out the 2017 model’s powertrain changes is the deletion of the Performance Air Intake System as well as the Performance Intake and Exhaust Package. Both LPO-level items were calibrated for the outgoing 3.6L V-6 LFX engine.
And that does it for the official 2017 Chevy Colorado updates and changes which, by the way, are similar to those found on the 2017 GMC Canyon. Alas, we did not get some of what we were hoping for the 2017 MY, but there’s always the possibility that some of those will come next year in the 2018 Chevrolet Colorado. In addition, we would not discount information on the 2017 Colorado ZR2 being released separately in the near-term future.
The 2017 Chevy Colorado release date in the U.S. and Canada is pegged for the fourth quarter of 2016.
Following is the complete list of RPO-level changes to the 2017 Chevrolet Colorado:
- Exterior color (G7P) Red Rock Metallic
- Exterior color (GCR) Inferno Orange Metallic
- (LFX) 3.6L SIDI DOHC V6 VVT engine
- (IO4) Chevrolet MyLink, 4.2″ diagonal color screen with AM/FM stereo
- (PCL) Body-Color Luxury Package
- (PDL) Midnight Edition
- (PCZ) Z71 Trail Boss
- (PDG) Performance Intake and Exhaust Package, LPO
- (VTG) Interior Trim Kit, Techno Steel, LPO
- (PDM) Bed Protection Package, LPO
- (PDP) Exterior Convenience Package, LPO
- (RXQ) Bed net, LPO
- (RW6) Metal bed storage box, LPO
- (S42) Utility rack load stops, LPO
- (SE4) 18″ 5-spoke aluminum wheels, LPO
- (WBC) Cat-Back Performance Exhaust Upgrade System, LPO
- (5W7) Performance Air Intake System, LPO
- Exterior color (GPA) Graphite Metallic
- Exterior color (GPJ) Cajun Red Tintcoat
- (PCP) Custom Special Edition, includes:
- (VAT) body-color grille, LPO
- (D75) body-color door handles
- (DL6) outside power-adjustable, body-color, manual-folding mirrors
- (VT5) body-color rear bumper
- (PZX) 18″ Dark Argent Metallic cast aluminum wheels
- (IOB) Chevrolet MyLink Radio with 7″ diagonal color touch-screen (available 2WT and 4WT)
- (LGZ) 3.6L DI DOHC V6 VVT engine
- (M5T) 8-speed automatic transmission
- (KA1) Heated front cloth seats are now available as a free flow option on LT models
- (IOB) 7″ diagonal Color Touch Screen with MyLink
- (TDM) Teen Driver Mode (standard on all models)
- (S3U) Front Fog Lamp Kit, LPO (available on WT)
- (SIZ) Cargo divider, LPO (available on all trims except 2SA)
- (SB7) LPO, Stripe Package, low gloss Black, includes hood and tailgate (available on all trims except 2SA)
- (S6W) Protective rear seat cover, LPO is now available on LT and Z71 Crew Cab models (was not available on LT and Z71 in 2016)
- Exterior color (G7Z) Laser Blue is a mid-model year addition
- Exterior color (GGQ) Orange Burst Metallic is a mid-model year addition
- (NQ6) AutoTrac transfer case is now standard on 4WD models with gas engines (excluding WT models)
- (JL1) Trailer brake controller is now available with (LGZ) 3.6L DI DOHC V6 engine and (Z82) Trailering Package
- Contents of (PDY) Chrome Appearance Package Plus are now included with (PDZ) Chrome Appearance Package ([PDY] will no longer be offered)
Download the 2017 Chevrolet Colorado order guide (in PDF format) at the following link:
- 2017 Chevrolet Colorado order guide (updated August 26, 2016)