General Motors is recalling the 2015 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon midsize pickup trucks over an issue that can cause the loss of power steering assist.
The defect: a poor electrical connection within the steering gear connector may cause a loss of power steering assist.
The hazards: a loss or reduction in power steering assist may increase the risk of a crash.
- 2015 Chevrolet Colorado manufactured January 6, 2015 to March 17, 2015
- 2015 GMC Canyon manufactured January 6, 2015 to March 19, 2015
Number of vehicles affected: 2,988 (United States figure).
The fix: GM will notify owners, and dealers will replace the steering gear pinion sensor cover assembly, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule.
Owners should: customers looking to find out if their vehicle is included in this Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon recall should visit recalls.gm.com. There, owners will be able to enter their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to see any open recalls as well as customer satisfaction programs. If the vehicle is part of the recall, customers should take it to a General Motors dealer.
Owners can also contact Chevrolet or GMC customer service with questions by using the following information.
- Chevrolet Customer Service: 1-800-222-1020
- GMC Customer Service: 1-800-462-8782
- GM Recall Number: 15595
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
- NHTSA Recall Number: 16V054000