When Cadillac initially launched the 2016 CTS family, it did not offer the Midnight Edition — a circumstance that brought a significant amount of disappointment to CTS owners and Cadillac enthusiasts who were fans of the black-out package. However, a recent update to the 2016 CTS order guide suggests that the package is back.
- (PZX) 18″ After Midnight premium painted wheels
- (TSA) Black chrome grille
By comparison, the 2015 CTS Midnight Edition also offered black daylight opening (DLO) window moldings and sueded microfiber steering wheel and a sueded microfiber shifter.
The 2016 CTS Midnight is averrable with the following models, trim levels, exterior colors, and interior trim combinations:
- RWD and AWD
- Not available with Standard
- RWD and AWD
- (G1W) Crystal White Tricoat
- (G7Q) Phantom Gray Metallic
- (GBA) Black Raven
Interior Trims (as offered per model)
- (H0Y) Jet Black with Jet Black accents
- (H2D) Light Platinum with Jet Black accents
- (HDY) Jet Black with Morello Red accents
- (HEE) Kona Brown with Jet Black accents
The 2016 CTS Midnight Edition is not available with:
- (SGU) Ultra-Silver painted aluminum wheels, LPO
- (SJ6) Manoogian premium painted aluminum wheels, LPO
- (SJ7) gloss Black premium painted aluminum wheels, LPO
- (5XR) Black chrome grille, LPO
- (VAT) Bright chrome accent grille, LPO
- (VPI) Bright chrome rear fascia molding, LPO
- Any other RPO wheels
The GM Authority Take
We’re happy to see the Midnight Edition return to the CTS as it did to the ATS Sedan and Coupe (more on the ATS Midnight Edition), since the CTS’ rivals from BMW, Audi, Mercedes-Benz, and Lexus all offer black-out appearance packages, which have been gaining in popularity in the sport-luxury space, especially among younger buyers.
And though we won’t miss the sueded steering wheel or shifter, which can be ordered individually as well as purchased as an accessory and installed after the purchase, we do wish the package still offered the blacked-out daylight openings (DLO) as it did on the 2015 model. The blacked-out DLOs truly completed the look of the vehicle and, unfortunately, are not available for purchase as an individual part.
In addition, we would also like to see the package available with all exterior colors, rather than the select three offered today. To note, there are no color restrictions on the black-out packages offered on the BMW 5 Series, Lexus GS, and Audi A6/S6.