It seems, since the internet once again spoiled a surprise, Chevrolet has pulled the wraps off of its 2016 North American International Auto Show debut early. This is the 2017 Chevrolet Cruze hatchback.
Chevrolet says the 2017 Cruze hatch arrives with the same 106.3-inch wheelbase as the sedan to maximize interior space, and it’s quick to point out it offers two additional inches of rear legroom over the Ford Focus and Hyundai Elantra hatch.
In the rear, the 2017 Cruze hatch offers up additional cargo space over the sedan: 18.5-cubic feet to be exact, and 42-cubic feet with the rear seats folded down.
Again, much like the sedan, the 2017 Cruze also sees 200-pounds shed from its curb weight over the outgoing sedan in North America, and hatch across the globe. Chevrolet says the lighter weight adds to the Cruze hatch’s overall driving dynamism.
“With 9 percent market growth in small hatchbacks last year, it’s the perfect time to bring the Cruze Hatch to America,” said Alan Batey, president, General Motors North America and Global Chevrolet. “As Cruze continues to set the tone for Chevrolet globally, it articulates the brand promise of offering cars with the latest technologies, more features and greater efficiency, performance and safety with fresh, distinctive styling.”
Key features donning the 2017 Chevy Cruze hatch include the following:
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability via the MyLink system, plus OnStar 4G LTE with WiFi hotspot
- More standard safety features than a comparable Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic with additional adaptive features including, Lane Keep Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Park Assist
- Available Teen Driver System
- Standard 1.4-liter turbo engine with direct injection and Stop/Start technologies, electric power steering and, on Premier models, a Z-link rear suspension
- Available features including heated steering wheel, heated front and rear seats, Athens leather-appointed seating surfaces, true French seams and halogen projector-beam headlamps with LED signature lighting.
Chevrolet states the 2017 Cruze hatch will arrive in LT and Premiere trims with the additional RS package optional. Expect the 2017 Cruze hatch to arrive at your local Chevrolet dealer by Fall of 2016.