General Motors is recalling certain 2016 model year Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon midsize pickup trucks over an issue with the console compartment lid latch assembly.
The problem: affected vehicles have a console compartment lid latch assembly that may fail to keep the compartment door closed in the event of a crash. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 201, “Occupant Protection in Interior Impact.”
The hazard: if the console compartment door does not remain closed in a crash, the contents stored in the console may strike the vehicle occupants, increasing their risk of injury.
Injuries/Deaths: none reported.
- 2016 Chevrolet Colorado manufactured between August 25th, 2015 and September 24th, 2015
- 2016 GMC Canyon manufactured between August 28th, 2015 to September 24th, 2015
Number of vehicles affected: 9,200, of which:
- 8,763 are in the United States
- 437 are in Canada and Mexico
The fix: GM will notify owners, and dealers will replace the console compartment door latch assembly with an improved part, free of charge. GM has not yet provided a notification schedule.
Owners should: customers looking to find out if their vehicle is included in this GM recall should visit recalls.gm.com. There, owners will be able to enter their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to see any open recalls as well as customer satisfaction programs. If the vehicle is part of the recall, customers should take it to a General Motors dealer.
Owners can also contact Chevrolet or GMC customer service with questions by using the following information.
- Chevrolet Customer Service: 1-800-222-1020
- GMC Customer Service: 1-800-462-8782
- GM Recall Number: 16370
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
- NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
- NHTSA Recall Number: 15V807000