It’s official: the Buick Envision is coming to North America in 2016. Also buried in the announcement is that the 2016 Buick Envision will be produced in China and imported into the United States and Canada.
The news comes after weeks of speculation and calls from the United Auto Workers union for General Motors to “build where it sells.” The tone of the announcement, however: the 2016 Envision has been designed, engineered and tested in Michigan, despite it being “made in China“.
Outside of all that: the 2016 Buick Envision will bridge the gap between the compact Encore and full-size Enclave when it arrives next year. It will be powered by the a 2.0-liter LTG turbocharged four-cylinder engine 262 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque mated to GM’s six-speed Hydra-Matic 6T70 automatic transmission. It will also be Buick’s first crossover to feature the HiPer Strut front suspension as well as an advanced Active Twin Clutch all-wheel-drive system.
Envision highlights include:
- 252-horsepower (186 kW) 2.0L turbo engine with stop/start technology, matched with Buick’s first crossover vehicle application of HiPer Strut front suspension and Buick’s first Active Twin Clutch all-wheel-drive system
- Efficiency-enhancing features including upper grille shutters that open and close to enhance aerodynamics on the highway and a body structure incorporating mass-reducing high-strength and ultra-high-strength steels – and a lightweight aluminum hood
- LED daytime running lamps and rear LED accent lights
- Sliding, 60/40-split rear seat, offering the flexibility of more legroom for second-row passengers
- Kneeling cushions in the second-row seat enable a flatter load floor when the seat is folded
- Standard Safety Alert Seat and Lane Keep Assist, as well as available Automatic Park Assist, and Surround Vision 360-degree camera system
- IntelliLink with 8-inch color touch screen
- Available OnStar with 4G LTE and built-in Wi-Fi hotspot
- Programmable power liftgate with hands-free operation
- Active noise cancelation
- Standard 19-inch aluminum wheels
- Passive entry and push-button start with standard remote start
- Standard eight-way power-adjustable front seats and four-way-adjustable lumbar – including available adjustable thigh support on some models that enhances comfort for taller passengers
- Standard heated front seats, heated rear seat and heated steering wheel
- Available cooled front seats
- Standard tri-zone climate control with rear-seat controls and console-mounted rear vents
- Standard Bose premium sound system
- Available panoramic moonroof
Stay tuned as we bring you the latest about the 2016 Envision and Buick’s decision to import it from China.