Earlier this month, GM’s OnStar quietly slipped into a press release a brief overview of the point-of-interest (POI) navigation requests of customers in North America. The break-down is as follows:
- 35 percent are for retail locations, giving the new AtYourService couponing/offers service more credibility
- 20 percent are for restaurants
- 10 percent are for hotels
Those three categories make up 65 percent of the POI requests, making us wonder about the remaining 35 percent that the GM telematics subsidiary didn’t discuss.
Do these numbers surprise you? Talk to us in the comments.