Luckily, the General Motors order has officially been published, which is how we know what’s in and what’s out for the 2016 model year.
If you were a fan of Perfect Blue (RPO Code: GNT) or Alchemy Purple Metallic (GWR) exterior colors, you’re out of luck, as both hues say sayonara for 2016. Slipstream Blue (GO5), on which we already reported, fills the void for the outgoing Perfect Blue, while no new blurple color of sorts has been unveiled to replace Alchemy. Other deletions from the 2016 Chevrolet SS include the CD player, the auxiliary input and fog lamps (T3U).
The fog lamps sound like an odd feature to wipe away from the 2016 SS, but not when you consider that this is considered a “mid-cycle refresh.” According to the document, new lower LEDs and signature LED lighting across the front end will be prominent. Those cues will coordinate with a revised front fascia and functional hood vents. Aerodynamics seems to have been a focal point, because the order guide also points out new ducts on each side of the front clip will be added, directing airflow into the wheel arches.
As for the rest of the exterior, the in-your-face chrome is being dialed down, the 19-inch wheels will switch to machine-faced cast aluminum (RO3), and the standard Brembo brakes will now be painted red. And, as if the exhaust didn’t already sound like a dragon clearing its throat, the 2016 SS will offer GM’s excellent dual-mode exhaust (NPP).
As we await photos of the revised front end, we expect the rear to remain fairly unchanged. Further whispers note an August 13 date for customers to place orders for the 2016 SS, but nothing has been confirmed by General Motors thus far. It also seems plausible these changes will apply to the 2016 Holden Commodore Series II.
Following are the RPO-level changes for the 2016 Chevy SS:
- (GNT) Perfect Blue Metallic exterior color
- (GWR) Alchemy Purple Metallic exterior color
- CD player
- 3.5mm auxiliary input jack
- (T3U) Fog lamps
- (GO5) Slipstream Blue exterior color
- LED front signature lighting
- (NPP) Dual-mode exhaust
- (RO3) 19″ wheels design change to ultra-bright, machined-face, cast aluminum
- Mid-cycle enhancements: Functional hood vents, front fascia (lower LED at DRL area) appearance
- Front fascia includes a duct on each side to direct airflow into the front wheel arch for aerodynamic improvement
- Brembo brakes are now Red color