We hate to bring you this kind of news, but felt it would be an excellent time to remind Corvette owners how to exit the car should something like this ever happen.
72-year old James Rogers of Port Arthus, Texas stopped at a restaurant for a quick bite with his pet dog. As he headed out to the Corvette to check on his dog, the two became trapped inside the 2007 C6 Corvette as the battery had gone dead. The Corvette uses an electronic door handle, rendering it useless should power be zapped.
Unfortunately, Rogers was not aware of the emergency exit handle beside the seat. The emergency handle pops open the electric door should this type of situation occur. Police say Rogers and his dog died of heat exhaustion while furiously flipping through the owner’s manual. Rogers had also left his phone inside the restaurant to charge, rendering him helpless inside the 2007 Corvette.
If you own a Corvette utilizing the electric door, please, familiarize yourself with the emergency handle should this type of situation happen. It seems freakish, but unfortunately it occurred.
Our utmost condolences go out to the Rogers family for their loss, and we hope nothing like this ever occurs to another Corvette owner.