It’s no secret that the Cadillac ELR is a slow seller; during the first four months of 2015, the $70,000 extended-range electric coupe was responsible for a measly 415 deliveries. But that in no way makes it a bad vehicle. In fact, the ELR is a great car that’s quite advanced, looks great, and is very to drive. And for the 2016 model year, the ELR is getting many noteworthy updates and changes, many of which you may have already heard about. Even so, we’ll present them in full detail and on an RPO basis this time around.
To start, the 2016 Cadillac ELR does away with Black Raven and Crystal Red Tintcoat colors while adding Stellack Black Metallic, Red Passion Tintcoat, and Crystal White Tricoat, with the latter two being extra-cost hues.
Rounding out the changes to the exterior is a new front grille design, new Cadillac crest badging (sans the wreath), and new 20-inch graphite painted wheels (available as an LPO).
Inside, the 2016 Cadillac ELR gets all gains all kinds of technology: SMS texting that works over Bluetooth, OnStar 4G LTE, wireless (inductive) charging, lane change alert, CUE updates galore that deliver a better and faster system, plus the removal of the SD card slot. In addition, there’s a new LPO-level black suede steering wheel, a lock control for the steering column, a vehicle inclination sensor, and a self-powers horn for the alarm system.
There’s also a new Performance Package that includes sort leather steering wheel, 20-inch performance summer-only tires wrapping 20-inch sport alloy wheels, performance 4-wheel antilock brakes, and a sport-tuned suspension system.
But the biggest changes to the 2016 Cadillac ELR can’t be seen nor touched; rather, they can only be felt by driving the vehicle. These changes include a higher-output electric drive motor along with enhanced chassis, steering, and brake tuning.
Oh, and there’s also a price drop to the tune of $9,000 or so.
Check out the RPO-level changes for yourself:
- Exterior color (GBA) Black Raven
- Exterior color (GBE) Crystal Red Tintcoat
- SD card slot removed from Cadillac CUE
- (RQA) 20″ ultra-bright machined aluminum wheels with Midnight Silver premium painted pockets
- Exterior color (G1E) Red Passion Tintcoat (available at extra charge)
- Exterior color (G1W) Crystal White Tricoat (available at extra charge)
- Exterior color (GB8) Stellar Black Metallic
- Cadillac crest badging
- Front grille design
- SMS Texting – works in conjunction with enabled Bluetooth-paired smartphones
- (Y43) Performance Package, includes (NK4) sport leather steering wheel, (RE2) 20″ performance, summer-only tires, (RTH) 20″ sport alloy wheels, (JQ5) performance 4-wheel antilock brakes and (FE3) sport-tuned suspension
- (VV4) OnStar with 4G LTE
- (K4C) Wireless Charging
- Lane Change Alert
- (N06) Steering column, lock control
- (UTR) Theft-deterrent alarm system, self-powered horn
- (UTU) Vehicle inclination sensor
- (PB4) Locking wheel lugs
- (SC2) Black suede steering wheel, LPO
- (SEH) 20″ Satin Graphite painted aluminum wheels, LPO (includes lug nuts, LPO and wheel center caps, LPO)
- Cadillac CUE upgrades include improved system speed and performance, faster, more accurate map loading and voice command execution, faster service reprogramming, redesigned navigation interfaces, single press mute navigation voice/cancel route, expanded cities with 3D maps, route information and next maneuver and BT Media browsing
- Higher output Electric Drive motor
- Enhanced chassis, steering and brake tuning
- Side Blind Zone Alert RPO Code changes from (UFT) to (UKC)
- Automatic transmission RPO Code changes from (MKA) to (MKD)