General Motors has approved four more death claims in its ignition switch compensation fund, The Detroit News reports, bringing the total number of fatalities linked to its faulty ignition switch to 84.
The deadline to submit new compensation claims to the fund expired on January 31, but the automaker has said it will take until at least late spring to process all of them. Of the 4,342 claims submitted by the deadline, 475 were death claims. There are also 1,136 claims still under review, 73 of which are for deaths.
GM has also approved nine new injury claims, bringing the total to 157. The Detroit News says 146 of the injury claims submitted are for ‘less severe’ injuries, while 11 are considered serious.
So far GM has made 126 monetary compensation offers to those deemed eligible, with 93 of those being accepted and five being rejected. So far the automaker has paid out 73 claims. Those who accept payment from GM will be unable to sue the automaker afterward.