Last October, General Motors announced that top lawyer Michael Millikin would only stick around until early this year, but according to a new report, the head of the General Motors General Counsel will retire in July, and be “available for consulting services” through the end of 2015.
Automotive News says that General Motors spokesman Jim Cain said on Monday that “the search [for Millikin’s successor] is in great shape,” though he declined to comment on when a replacement would be named. In October, the American automotive giant announced that Millikin had not been forced out of his position, he chose to retire voluntarily, and CEO Mary Barra had even asked him to stay on board longer. It seems that is what has happened.
Last year, Millikin’s group, and GM as a whole, faced loads of criticism for its huge ignition-switch vehicle recall campaigns. Evidence has shown that the company waited a staggering eleven years to recall 2.6 million vehicles plagued with an ignition switch defect that can cause the key to slip out of position, disabling airbags and shutting the vehicle off, even while it’s moving. This recall has now been linked to at least fifty fatalities.
Stay tuned to GM Authority for all of the latest info related to Michael Millikin, the end of his tenure at General Motors, and his successor.