The automaker opened a victim compensation fund in August of last year intended to monetarily reimburse those who had suffered injuries or were killed GM cars with a faulty ignition switch. So far, the program has linked at least 51 deaths to the switch and 53 injuries for a total of 104 confirmed claims.
The compensation program, overseen by lawyer and compensation expert Kenneth Feinberg, stopped taking new submissions on Jan. 31. Feinberg said the fund received a surge of claims in the closing few days, giving him and his team another 1,100 submissions to sort through. The fund received a total of 4,180 claims, 455 of which were for deaths.
Camille Biros, deputy administrator of the compensation program, said it will take until “very late spring” to make rulings on the remaining claims. The Detroit News says hundreds of the last claims were submitted with little to no paperwork, making it especially difficult to decide which are valid.
To date, GM has made 93 settlement offers, 40 of which have been already been paid out and another 49 of which have been accepted. So far, none of the offers have been rejected.