The Flint Journal is embracing its teenage, hashtag-using side and participating in #ThrowbackThursday this week, sharing with us archive photos which show Buick’s Flint-based airplane engine production plant in 1942.
Buick was first commissioned to build airplane engines in 1910 when Walter Marr design air-cooled engine for the Flint Flyer airplane, MLive reports. That Flint Flyer never reached production, however Buick opened a metal foundry in 1942 in the midst of the war and began producing airplane engine parts and Pratt & Whitney airplane engines.
Buick’s airplane engines found duty in the Douglas C-47 Skytrain and C-54 Skymaster cargo planes. The automaker also produced jet engine parts in 1952 at a separate Flint location. Need proof? Check out the archive photos at MLive here.