Cadillac‘s old tagline, “Standard of the World,” rang true to much of the world back when V16 behemoths ruled the Hamptons and Hollywood. And even after those days, finned ’50s creations continued to carry the tradition. That’s not to knock today’s Caddys − they are utterly fantastic − but it was another era. That era now has a home at the Cadillac-LaSalle Club Museum and Research Center at the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan.
The 10,000-square-feet museum, which looks like a 1940s-era showroom, includes 24 Cadillacs and LaSalles, the companion make built from 1927-40. Of special note is a special 1903 Cadillac, which was the first year of production.
Included in the museum is the Research Center, which was founded in 1995 to preserve the legacy of all things Cadillac. It will serve as the permanent home of the club’s collection of automobiles, display engines, and artifacts.
To visit the Gilmore Car Museum, head over to Hickory Corners, not far from the western hamlet of Kalamazoo. With over 375 vehicles on display, you’ll certainly be entertained by more than just Cadillacs. For more information, call the Gilmore at 269-671-5089 or visit www.gilmorecarmuseum.org and www.cadillaclasallemuseum.org.