More commonly known as the garage door opening system, the Universal Home Remote can be highly convenient, as it provides a way replace up to three remote control transmitters used to activate garage door openers and Home security systems. But as it often happens, setting it up to work with your garage can be quite the challenge. To help with that, we’re providing the following guide on programming the system.
- Press and hold the two outside buttons at the same time, releasing only when the Universal Home Remote indicator light begins to flash. You’ll need to press these for a maximum of 20 seconds.
- Hold your Universal Home transmitter about 1-3 inches away from the Universal Home Remote buttons while keeping the indicator light in view. At the same time, press and hold the button to be programmed and the handheld transmitter button. Do not release either button until the indicator light on the Universal Home Remote flashes slowly at first and then rapidly after a successful program.
- Press and hold the newly-trained Universal Home Remote button and observe the indicator light.
- If the indicator light stays on continuously, the programming is complete.
- If the Universal Home Remote indicator light blinks rapidly for two seconds and then turns to a constant light, then continue with the following steps:
- Go to the garage door opener receiver motor head unit and locate the learn or smart button.
- Firmly press the button and release the smart button. After you press this button, you now have 30 seconds to return to the vehicle. Once back in the vehicle, firmly press and hold the button on the Universal Home Remote that you selected previously for 2 seconds. Then, release.
- If the garage door does not move, repeat steps 4 and 5 a second and third time.
For questions or more help programming the Universal Home Remote System, call 1-800-355-3515 or visit the HomeLink website.
Here’s a video from GMC demonstrating the programming process: