The Woodward Dream Cruise is a car-filled spectacle of cruising along Detroit’s Woodward Avenue. The avenue starts in downtown Detroit Rock City and moves up through Pontiac, about a 25-mile drive, although the cruise is mainly centered in the middle of Woodward. In fact, Detroit is known for their mile-marker east/west streets like 8 Mile Road, which is the symbolic cusp of Detroit and its suburbs and the inspiration for the Eminem movie. Chevrolet‘s participation in the cruise will be as the presenting sponsor, which is the fourth time for this honor.
Since its beginnings in 1995, inspired by the cruising and racing scene from the 1960s, the Woodward Dream Cruise has celebrated Detroit and all things automotive. The official cruise will be on Saturday, August 16, but there are many official and unofficial events going on that lead up to the big cruise. Here’s some information on Chevrolet and General Motors’ involvement:
- GM Design will host the fifth annual Design on Woodward car show on Wednesday, August 13 from 1-9 pm at the Northwood Plaza on the southwest corner of Woodward and 13 Mile Road. This show will feature more than 100 vehicles owned by members of the GM design team. Expect live music to keep you entertained beyond the cars.
- The Chevrolet Performance display, located at the northeast corner of Woodward Avenue and 13 Mile Road, will be open on August 14-15 from 10 am to 9 pm Friday and Saturday 8 am to 9 pm. Several performance vehicles fresh off the Hot Rod Power Tour, a selection of Chevrolet Performance parts and accessories for your own car, and an IndyCar race car and motor all will be on display.
- On Saturday, August 16 – the official day of the Cruise – you will be able to find Chevrolet’s display at the junction of Woodward Avenue and Old Woodward Avenue in Birmingham. Itwill will be open from 9 am to 9 pm. The display will have Chevrolet’s full line of vehicles, including:
- The all-new 2015 Colorado midsize pickup truck
- The 2015 SS with the recently announced six-speed manual transmission and Magnetic Ride Control adaptive suspension
- Vehicles from Transformers: Age of Extinction
- Several vehicles from the GM Heritage Museum, including a 1929 Chevrolet Landau and a 1971 Chevrolet Cheyenne
- A Chevrolet technology display including in-vehicle features like OnStar with 4G LTE
- The Camaro Corral at Pleasant Ridge City Hall (23925 Woodward Ave.) where Camaro Club members will be displaying their F-bodies (and, presumably, Zetas as well) starting at 7 am on Saturday, August 16.
Additionally, as reported yesterday, the Chevrolet Certified Rescue Squad will be on hand during Saturday’s festivities. Six Chevrolet Silverados will cruise Woodward to give assistance to any and all classic cruisers that are experiencing mechanical issues (or even an empty tank). The trucks will be driven by Metro Detroit Chevrolet Dealers who are providing ASE-certified technicians. If you yourself need help, there will be two Chevrolet Certified Service locations where cruisers of all makes and models can go for help:
- Fifth Third Bank, 29710 Woodward (two blocks north 12 Mile), Royal Oak
- The Vitamin Shoppe (Normandy Plaza), 31753 Woodward, Royal Oak