Late last week, one C6 Chevrolet Corvette owner’s attached garaged caught fire shortly after parking his red sports car in the garage. Firefighters on the scene blamed electrical issues with the car for the sparking the fire in the Houston home, so what’s going on here?
The owner of the car said had been driving the car earlier in the day when he noticed something was wrong, Click2Houston reports. No more information was provided by the owner, but firefighters added that “there was a mechanical issue we believe, based on talking to [the homeowner].”
This isn’t the first case of this happening we have heard of. In 2012, a 2005 C6 Corvette caught fire in California when the driver parked the car in the garage not long after driving the car. That fire burnt down the owner’s 5,300-square-foot house and resulted in GM being sued to the tune of $3.4 million, although the ruling was eventually overturned.
We can’t be sure this fire was caused by the car, but the firefighters and the home owner seem to think so. The two separate but similar cases definitely raise questions about the C6 and its electrical systems, however two incidents out of the over 215,000 sixth-generation Corvettes that have been produced likely isn’t enough to warrant serious concern.