General Motors’ Germany-based subsidiary Opel has announced plans to introduce the OnStar telematic and connectivity service in Europe, ending years worth of speculation about the service’s expansion to Europe. The announcement was made by Opel CEO Dr. Karl-Thomas Neumann at a press conference at the 84th International Motor Show in Geneva.
“OnStar and Opel will make driving in Europe safer and more relaxed from 2015,” said Neumann. “With OnStar 4G/LTE, Opel drivers will enjoy high-speed mobile connectivity, and with this we take a major step towards realizing our vision of connectivity – the Opel Monza Concept that we presented last fall.”
At the time of the announcement, over 6.5 million customers in the U.S., Canada, China, and Mexico already use OnStar connected services. The announcement comes weeks before General Motors launches OnStar 4G LTE connectivity on select vehicles across the United States.
Specifically, Opel will provide OnStar on 2015 model year vehicles in its range in select European markets. As in the United States, OnStar services will include:
- 4G LTE connection: with OnStar 4G LTE, the car becomes a powerful, mobile Wi-Fi hotspot, giving easier access to apps and services that require a high-speed cellular or data connection, for up to seven mobile devices.
- Emergency services: no matter what kind of trouble a driver encounters out on the road, OnStar is there to help. If the airbag deploys, OnStar can be alerted automatically. Even if it’s a medical emergency, or you witness a crash, just press your emergency button and OnStar can request help.
- Remote Link: drivers can remotely connect to their vehicle with the OnStar RemoteLink mobile app. They can view oil life and tire pressure info on their smartphone, and lock or unlock their vehicle via smartphone. Destination addresses can be sent immediately to the on-board navigation system.
- Stolen vehicle assistance: if a vehicle is ever stolen, OnStar can work with the police to recover it quickly and safely.
- Roadside assistance: if drivers find themselves stranded, they are never alone. Whether it is an empty gas tank or a flat tire, a push of the emergency button is all it takes for OnStar to request that help be sent.
- Vehicle diagnostics: OnStar sends a monthly Vehicle Diagnostics email with the most important vehicle data and information. A diagnostic check can be requested at any time at the push of a button.
- Remote services: drivers never have to worry about locking their keys in the car again. They just have to call OnStar, where an advisor will verify their account and send a signal to their vehicle to unlock the doors. Destination addresses can be sent immediately to the on-board navigation system by pressing the OnStar button, or via the RemoteLink app.