As somebody who used to play a bit of rugby, the news that Holden has signed a 3-year “multi-million dollar” deal with Australia’s National Rugby League is exceptionally pleasant. It’s a sport that makes American football look like cheerleading, and it’s a damn shame that the sport isn’t more popular here as it is in other English speaking corners of the world. Nevertheless, as with all the scrumming, tackling, running and kicking in the NRL, the Holden Lion will be just about everywhere, including exclusive naming rights to the following:
- The Holden State of Origin Series between New South Wales and Queensland
- The Holden Cup (formally the NRL National Under 20’s Youth Competition)
- The Holden National Under 20’s State of Origin Series
- The Holden Kangaroos, Australia’s national rugby league team
- The Holden One Community Monster Raffle
Yes. The Australian national team will be officially titled “Holden Kangaroos” for at least three years. Say, that doesn’t sound like a bad name for a car, either.