If all the the features and perks offered by OnStar (such as vehicle diagnostics, MyLink mobile apps, automatic crash response, turn-by-turn navigation, Virtual Assistant, stolen vehicle and roadside assistance, as well as handsfree calling — to name a few) aren’t enticing enough for you to subscribe to the GM telematics service, did you know that OnStar subscribers are also eligible for discounts on their auto insurance?
That’s right, some (but not all) auto insurance companies offer exclusive discounts to OnStar subscribers — with certain insurers offering as much as 54 percent off the yearly insurance premium. According to OnStar, it’s one way that insurance firms recognize “our safety, security, and advanced technology features.”
As of this writing, OnStar highlights five participating insurers offering discounts to subscribers on its website, including GMAC Insurance, High Point Auto Insurance, Liberty Mutual, State Farm, and 21st Century Insurance. Here are their offers (current as of this writing):
- Low Mileage Discount and Active OnStar Subscriber Discount.
- Save up to 54%, depending on your annual mileage—the less you drive the more you can save. Even if you drive more than 15,000 per year, you could still save up to 20% on select coverages.
- Click here or call 1-877-805-5701 and mention Preferred Customer Code ON-GR.
High Point Auto Insurance
- Active OnStar Subscriber Discount for New Jersey residents.
- All OnStar subscribers receive a 20% discount on their comprehensive coverage plus 5% off their entire auto policy if they also insure their home with High Point. In addition, second year or later OnStar subscribers also receive 5% off their entire auto policy.
- Click here or call 1-888-391-7242 to see how much you could save!
- Active OnStar Subscriber Discount.
- Save up to 10% on auto insurance and 5% on home insurance1 for being an active OnStar subscriber. Plus additional auto insurance savings for having OnStar as an anti-theft device.
- Click here or call 1-888-323-9065 to see how much you could save!
- State Farm® Drive Safe & Save™ program for active OnStar subscribers.
- Save up to 45% on your auto insurance. The Drive Safe & Save program savings will be based on the number of miles your vehicle is driven. The less you drive, the more you save!
- Click here or call 1-866-583-9457 for availability in your state.
21st Century Insurance
- Active OnStar Subscribers Discount.
- Save up to 12.1% on auto and up to 10% on home insurance with 21st Century Insurance2 and get the same great coverage for less.
- Click here or call 877-443-0498 and learn how you could save hundreds on your car or home insurance with 21st Century.
- In the near future, additional insurance providers will be offering discounts for OnStar subscribers. Ask your insurance provider about OnStar Low Mileage or OnStar Subscriber Discounts.
For more information about OnStar insurance discounts, check out this page on OnStar’s website.
The GM Authority Take
If you drive a GM vehicle, an OnStar subscription is a no-brainer in my humble opinion. Between the safety and convenience features offered by GM’s telematics arm, the service is well worth its cost (although owners of GM vehicles that aren’t compatible with OnStar’s MyLink apps may be of a different opinion). These insurance discounts are yet another reason to get OnStar — and save in the process!
Unfortunately, AllState auto insurance (my current insurer) doesn’t think that OnStar is worthy of a discount… Looks like I’ll be switching insurance companies when the time comes.