Following the release and immediate availability of Chevy’s myChevrolet app for Apple’s iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad) and Android devices, General Motors has just released sister apps for the remainder of its four core North American brands.
myBuick, myGMC, and myCadillac are now available in the App Store as well as Google Market for a price you simply can’t beat – free. The apps offer location-based, vehicle-specific, and OnStar Connectivity features.
The location-based services of the apps include:
- A parking reminder that allows drivers to save their parking location to a GPS-enabled map and add a note or photo with details about their parking location
- A timer to track how much time drivers have on the parking meter
- If the driver returns to a flat tire, they can use the app to request roadside assistance or to locate the closest Chevrolet dealership and schedule a service appointment
The vehicle-specific features, which are available after scanning the vehicle identification number (VIN) using the smartphone camera, include:
- Searchable content for the most-commonly accessed information in the owner’s manual, such as directions saving radio presets
- Explanations of warning lights and indicators on the vehicle instrument panel
The OnStar Connectivity features are available exclusively to OnStar subscribers via a separate OnStar MyLink app. These features include:
- Sending remote vehicle commands such as unlocking or locking the doors and starting the engine
- Access to key diagnostic information, including fuel tank level and range, remaining oil life, current and recommended tire pressure and lifetime average miles per gallon. The diagnostic information is current as of the last vehicle start, giving OnStar subscribers an up-to-date health report of their vehicle anytime they need it.
The apps are currently only available in the US, but we’re hearing that they will reach our friends in Canada real soon. You can download the apps for your iOS device in iTunes by following the links below (each link opens iTunes):
To download the apps on an Android phone, please use the Android Market on an Android device.